Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm such a goober

I rushed home from work tonight because I wanted to see a news story on oxyclean-LOL. They did one of those "let's see if it really works"comparisons. Well the conclusion is that yep for the mom that tested it that it did indeed takeout the grass and dirt stains her 30 month old managed to accumulate today
but I digress--
One of my very favorite movies since I first saw it when it came out has been "Mr Holland's Opus". There is nothing I don't like about this movie. I love the music in the entire movie, I love the characters, I love the fact that they show Mr Holland as a real human with real everyday problems (family and money problems,infidelity--almost, how to deal with a teenager-- how he did not accept the deafness of his child, and the fact that he had a terrible time learning to communicate with that child, I love the fact that they show the deaf and hearing impaired community and show people signing and being social, I love the way the music is presented, I love how Mr, Holland (Richard Dreyfus) loves his students and helps them make music even if they have no talent, and well, I guess I just love everything about this movie. Anyway it is also one of the movies that if I hear it on I have to stop whatever I am doing and watch it.
Tonight when I got home, I heard it playing in the bedroom where DH left the TV on. I rushed right in there just in time to see the last 10 minutes. They were to the part where Mr Holland is being forced into retirement and his past students are honoring him. I'm not saying the end of the movie--if you haven't seen it PLEASE rush right out and rent/buy/beg or borrow it. it is the epitome of a feel good movie.
here is why I am a goober... I can not see the end of that movie with out crying-- They are not tears of sadness but of being moved. I get all teary every time I see it. When the movie gets to the part where the "red headed girl" who made good comes in the auditorium--I looked at DH and he knew i was crying and had giant goose bumps on my arms.
I know this movie inside and out---I know how it ends--I know I am going to cry---but I LOVE this movie and the message of hope and love that it ends with.
OK I am finished being a goober now

2 comments:

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

You're not a goober! You're a person with heart - and that is a GOOD thing! :-)

I stumbled across this blog & thought you might enjoy it - they're currently traveling in your neck of the woods! http://travelingwithandrewandjen.blogspot.com/

Laurie said...

You're not a goober!! I cry at the end too.....how can you not?!?!?