Monday, September 6, 2010

9/6/10 Monday

Memories of summer childhood...... I bought some red plums at the grocery store today. When I bit into one this afternoon it took me right back to when i was a small child. One of the first things i remember getting in trouble for. I must have been younger than 5 when this occurred. I remember our landlady Mrs Mixon. We rented a lot for our trailer. It was just a little bitty place (probably way less than a regular lot in urban America) and we lived on the very last of the lots. There were 5 or 4 trailers parked in this small place. Mrs Mixon had the "big house" beside the parking place for the trailers. It was a two story blue house ---probably not all that large but back then it seemed huge...but i digress. Back to the red plums...Mrs Mixon had a red plum tree or two planted right near our home. When the red plums ripened and fell to the ground it was just toooo much -- I had to have those plums. I guess a child i was more deprived than i really realized. Those PLUMS became the thing i had to have. I remember mother telling me not to eat Mrs Mixon's plums... as a little child i probably didn't eat all that many of them but "mean Mrs Mixon" made sure that i didn't get any at all. It is funny how just the taste of a red plum brought all that back........

3 comments:

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

Awwww... bless your heart! How sad that she didn't share with a sweet little girl like you! I'm glad that now, as an adult, you're able to have plums when you want.
(((hugs)))

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

Awwww... bless your heart! How sad that she didn't share with a sweet little girl like you! I'm glad that now, as an adult, you're able to have plums when you want.
(((hugs)))

Brenda is SO Blessed said...

aahh Becky, It is all good now. I dont have to worry about her and I can buy my own. I just hope I will never be remembered like that for anything